I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Retreat Reminders

“Every one of us needs half an hour of prayer a day, except when we are busy - then we need an hour." 
- St Francis de Sales

"God does not need our prayers! He knows what we need even before we ask. He is the all-merciful, and he pours his abundant bounties even on those who do not ask him. It is for us that prayer is indispensable; it appropriates man to God." 
- Saint Ignatius Brianchaninov (1807-1867)

“Nothing is more practical than finding God, That is, than falling in a love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the mornings, What you will do with your evenings, How you spend your weekends, What you read, Who you know, What breaks your heart, And what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything.”
- Pedro Arrupe, S.J.

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need and I know what it is to have plenty...I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."
- Philippians 3:11-12

"'For I know the plans I have in store for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
- Jeremiah 29:11


These are just a few quotes that were either from this weekend's young adult retreat or that remind me of my experience this weekend. I'm going to be frankly honest up front - it's going to be hard to go back to work tomorrow...I don't want to because I'd rather remain on that proverbial mountaintop with the 60+ other young adults with whom I was able to share retreat.

This weekend was everything I hoped it would be...and then more.

I was reminded of...
- the simple beauty and serenity in contemplation, especially using meditative (and repetitive) music.
- the power of prayer when 20 or so of us gathered during free time to pray the Rosary.
- how much I love spending time with the Blessed Sacrament in Adoration.
- how it feels to be vulnerable - to open myself up to others and to have them open up to me as well. (What incredible conversations!)
- the essential call to be my truest self, for in Jesus' presence we see who we truly are. (And since we can't please everybody, we should remember to strive to please God first and then ourselves next.)
- the joy of laughter - pure belly laughs - during social and game time. (I probably haven't laughed as hard since last retreat.)
- why I pray and why the forms of prayers I use (when there are SO many to choose from) are, at least for the present moment, the ones best-suited to me and my needs.
- how beautiful it is to share such tremendous events with my sister. (There were actually a total of 4 sets of siblings on the retreat - crazy!)
- why I choose to believe the Catholic faith.

I pray that this weekend's insight, discussions, reflections, and activities act as a springboard and catalyst for my continued faith renewal and dedication to my faith community. And I thank God for all of the wonderful people I was able to work with who made this retreat such a special, memorable, and meaningful weekend.

most of the 2013 YAC retreat team

No comments:

Post a Comment