I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

And so Lent begins

Yesterday I have to admit I became upset when students started complaining when we asked them to think about giving things up - "Do we have to?"

Not exactly the attitude I was hoping for.

But today, for some reason - maybe after giving it some thought - students were generally more positive and tried to think of ways they could pray, fast, and give alms this Lenten season in preparation for Easter. We proceeded to put these plans on hearts (that they cut out themselves), and I pinned them to the bulletin board. I think my favorite part during the process was when one student (who usually enjoys being difficult with me) said, "Ms. Foyle has my heart" to which I replied, "Yes I do" and smiled. It was pretty good timing...

After hearing from some students at lunch and after reading some of the kiddos' plans for the season, I am highly impressed with some intended sacrifices - no TV, no video games (during the week), no fighting with siblings, and more.

Those were just the kinds of ideas to get me in a better mood for Valentine's Day tomorrow.

And speaking of Valentine's Day, check out these play-on-words valentines that we'll be handing out to our students tomorrow. (We figured they'd get enough candy from each other.)

We think you are just "WRITE"!

How's your Valentine's Day shaping up?

No comments:

Post a Comment