I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Answers to Our Prayers

“Ask and it will be given to you; 
seek and you will find; 
knock and the door will be opened to you. 
For everyone who asks, receives; 
and the one who seeks, finds; 
and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened."
(Matthew 7:7-8)

When it comes to the daily Mass readings, I don't believe in coincidences.

Take today's Gospel (see above) for example - this is the theme of the young adult weekend retreat that starts tomorrow.

Boy, that was timing it.

I've been reflecting on this passage from Matthew for the past few months, and each time I hear it, I do so in a different light. Different phrases speak to me...or I read others' reflections on it, and those provide new inspiration.

One of the reflections that stuck with me about this passage came from a children's resource - during our morning prayer over the loudspeaker at school, one of the older students was reading a reflection that said (something along these lines), "It doesn't say 'you shall receive what you want' but 'you shall receive.'" And this actually reminded me of a neat quote I came across on Pinterest a few weeks back (and have since shared with a few people):

...very true!

So, yes, I do believe God always answers our prayers when we ask...it's just not always in the way we expect Him to.

May we find hope in #3 on that list when we feel our prayers aren't being answered - God has something better in store...or maybe we just need to exercise a little more patience...

No comments:

Post a Comment