And I searched all over Trader Joe's for the perfect canvas - I mean, pumpkin.
I tried to be as symmetrical as possible...
And I made some pretty ugly sketches on the pumpkin...
Until I finally got the ideas I wanted translated onto the pumpkin.
And then, as much as I wanted to carve it right away, I decided it was better to wait for it because otherwise it might rot before Halloween.
(Alexander Hamilton, we are waiting in the wings for you...)
Finally, at one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine... there are 10 days till Halloween, I grabbed a few kitchen knives, newspaper (thank you, Chicago Tribune), and got to work. So messy, yet so wonderful!
My hands were covered in icky pumpkin slime, so I didn't get any pictures along the way - just before and after. As you can see, I was planning to cut out the individual Hamilton letters, but they were too small, so I made some minor tweaks.
And lights, camera, action!
The A.Ham pumpkin hasn't made it to the window yet, but I've been watching it burn while grading and while cheering on the Cubs, so it's served its entertaining purposes so far.
It's far from perfect, but it was really neat to be able to bring my idea to life. (Sometimes in the classroom, things look a lot better on paper and then completely flop...you know how it goes.)