I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Who is the one being ministered?

It had been far too long - over 4 months since I'd visited the nursing home to bring communion. But last Tuesday night as I was dropping my friend off after Bible study, he asked if I was going to start coming along again on Saturdays. With football games, weddings, shows, and other events taking up a lot of my upcoming Saturdays, I hesitated before saying yes. Even if it would just be for this week for now, it would be worth it.

I'm so glad I went. First, I did not feel pressed for time, which was largely due to the fact that I have a three day weekend due to the Columbus Day holiday. (And it's a good thing I wasn't in a rush because from the time we left the neighborhood, went to church to get the hosts, visit at the nursing home, and wait before returning hosts to the tabernacle after the 5pm Mass, it had been about 3 hours.) Second, I saw some old friends, some who remembered me and others who did not. But all were lovely and eager to receive Jesus. Third, one woman emphasized how privileged she was that she did not have to go "clump, clump, clump" all the way to church and instead we came to her. What an amazing perspective!

It's quite incredible - we are the ones called "ministers of care", but it is often the people at the nursing home who minister to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment