I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, February 26, 2012

New State of Mind

If I take one thing away with me from this weekend, it's this: Look for God - He's there. It's all about our perspective and perception.

But, I'm not going to lie - there is so much more that I will also take away with me from this weekend retreat. The people I met were genuine, like-minded young adults whose hearts are on fire with love for God. I felt so welcomed (even though I went into the retreat Friday night knowing absolutely no one!), and everyone made themselves completely vulnerable and open. I connected at so many levels with so many people, from having someone in my small group who graduated from USF to having another girl in my group who is a twin to talking with another girl after social hour about sign language and our love for it - I was blown away. I enjoyed talking with newfound friends throughout the weekend, from our car drive up to meals to free time to yoga (yeah, I did that - kinda sore, it's true) to the drive home - so many encounters with Christ. These encounters served as reminders that we aren't meant to walk our lives alone.

And I learned things about myself too - I realized that I am familiar with many ways to pray, but I definitely have my favorites, including the Examen and the Rosary. I learned that I take the fact that I stay up to date with a lot of Catholic blog posts and articles for granted, but it's a gift of new-found knowledge I can gladly share with others. I learned that there is nothing like a good laugh - and repeated laughter is even better. I may not have ever laughed that hard in my entire life - and those of you who know me know I love to laugh. (If you've never played the game "Telestrations", then you should check it out.)

Coming out of a retreat weekend is always bittersweet - the retreat high is still with me, but I know that I need to continue to energize my life with regular prayer so I do not lose my intensity and newfound joy and perspective. It's not going to be easy, but I have some plans ready to go, including attending Mass with the young adult group on Sunday nights. (Finally!)

It may seem that I'm donning a new pair of rose-colored glasses, but, honestly, it is more than that. It's about recognizing each moment as a gift from God and then thanking Him for all those little moments. It's a new "state of mind" (see Matt Maher lyrics and clip below) - and it's not about being optimistic. It's about having hope. It's about having a deeply rooted joy and finding rest in God.


"Hold my heart up to the light
Next to you, I'm more than alright
I've got nothing left to hide
I'm walking around in a new state of mind..."

No comments:

Post a Comment