I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Saturday, February 11, 2012

We will be the witnesses

As I continue to post about my experiences this year, I find myself going back to the new position I have taken up with the Ministry of Care program. But I realize this is no coincidence. It is through this ministry that I have already (in only 2 visits and 2 training sessions!) had the opportunity to encounter Christ through both the patients at the hospital and my fellow MOCs (that's "Minister Of Care" for short).


Today was another "shadow day" for me, and, largely due to the fact that it was quite cold outside, I somewhat grudgingly made my way to the hospital downtown. Well, as I am constantly reminded, God works in wonderful ways, and by the time I left the hospital (3 hours later) today, I was feeling uplifted and blessed.

It all started when I arrived - I met up with Mary Ann (the person I was shadowing), and we sat for a few moments introducing ourselves. Well, as it turns out, neither one of us actually attends Mass at the parish through which we do Ministry of Care. Guess where she frequents - the Church that is connected to my school! (This was pretty exciting news because, of course, she knows the priests and community.)

As we visited the patients on our list, I found myself much more comfortable this time. I knew what to expect, and it was wonderful to experience the ease with which Mary Ann entered into conversation and prayer with the patients. (I was on a different floor this time, and many of the patients had recently received, or were waiting for, transplants.) I had many opportunities to lead the prayers and conversation myself, and everything seemed to go well. The patients were so grateful for the opportunity to receive the Sacrament of Holy Eucharist, and I was blessed to witness much hope and faith in God.

As I continue my day (and week), I will try to keep experiences such as these at the forefront of my mind, so that I might recall how blessed I am to be where I am today.

God is good all the time.
All the time, God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment