I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Keep it cool, boys

5 pounds of potatoes in a 3 pound bag - Yup, that's how you do it.

Golly, I'm surprised our students made it out of this week as unscathed as they did - not that we were trying to kill them, by any means. (But we did pile quite a few tests/quizzes on them and pack in a LOT of material.) Actually, I think I was most surprised by how little complaining (except from the most common offenders) I heard from them. Maybe they're building those backbones after all.

What does this tell me about these students? They're smart, yes...but, more importantly, they're determined and they can "stay cool" under pressure. (And, trust me, there's a lot of pressure from their parents and society.) Maybe the upcoming four day weekend (3 for us teachers) was a strong motivator. I know it helped me get through the week.

Unfortunately, as far as test- and stress-wise, next week doesn't look too much better - with the end of the trimester coming up and Terra Nova tests approaching, it's going to take a lot of reminding to make sure these students don't fall from the top of their game. I know they can handle it - it's now the challenge of getting them to know that too.


"Stress is not what happens to us. It's our response TO what happens. And RESPONSE is something we can choose." -Maureen Killoran

No comments:

Post a Comment