I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, February 20, 2012

Kindred Souls

When I first read on a favorite blog that the book Kindred Souls by Patricia MacLachlan was coming out, I knew I had to read it. So, I ordered it right away.

It came in the mail a few weeks later, but it sat on my shelf for a few weeks after that too...Until today. With the extra day off from school (Amen!), I decided I had time to sit down and read it. And I am so glad I did.

It's a book about a boy and his grandfather who, at 88 years old, is still as sharp and lively as ever. It takes place during the summertime, when school is out, and Jake (the main character) spends much of his time with his grandfather (who everyone calls Billy) around their farm. As the story unfolds, a small dog named Lucy (whom Billy nicknames his "Angel Dog") becomes Billy's pet, and Jake (with the help of the rest of his family) builds his grandfather the sod house (from his childhood memories) that he has been missing for so long.


There really isn't that much of a plot - it's mainly a story about relationships, especially those rooted deep within the human soul. It is simple and beautiful. And, I would be lying if I didn't admit that it made me both laugh and shed some tears. 

Truthfully, this book really got me thinking about my grandpa again. And I think that's exactly what the author was trying to do. Patricia MacLachlan is quite the talented writer. She knows how to speak straight to the reader's heart...

And my heart was ready to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment