I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

February...29?

Tomorrow is February 29 - it's not often we get to write that date.


In fact, the last time we saw the 29th of February was four years ago (obviously), when I was still in college.

It's amazing how things have changed and happened since then...

- I had not yet been accepted to ACE (nor had I graduated from college), which has been a HUGE part of who I am today, especially in terms of my career as a teacher and my personal growth.


- I had no dreams of living in a big city (truthfully, I was very much against it), and yet I find myself in one today.


- Shoveling snow and scraping ice off my car was not my idea of fun - and I had never had any experience with such activities - but so far (in a mild winter, I know) I've done a-okay. *Keep those fingers crossed.*


- There was no desire on my part to live in, or let alone visit, the Southwest, and yet I survived and enjoyed its desert beauty for three years.


- Patience was something I never knew I needed so much more practice in, but as a teacher, I get loads of practice each day.


- My faith life was strong, but I didn't work as actively to cultivate my relationship with God (even though I did pray a lot and assisted planning many Catholic Student Union activities in college). Now, I read books, blogs, websites, and more - and I've even been on a few young adult retreats.


- Coffee was not even on my radar, but I find it hard to go a (school day) without a cup o' joe - it starts my mornings off on the right foot.


- One marathon was under my belt, but who would have thought I would add 4 more (and all in different states)?

I could go on, but I think that's enough for now. But, isn't it kind of crazy to think about the changes when you take a look back?

And doesn't it make you excited for the possibilities ahead? A lot can happen in four years...clearly. Maybe there is uncertainty, but in God's hands we know we'll be all right.

Think about it: Where will you be on the next Leap Day (2016 - whoa!)?

Tomorrow starts our benchmark for the next four years. Enjoy the ride...

1 comment:

  1. student: What is leap day?
    me: When we leap around all day.
    student: (after a few seconds) Really? (with wide eyes)

    ...ummmm no... went on to discuss what it really is haha

    ReplyDelete