I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, August 13, 2012

Waiting to Hear...

My thoughts today have found their way back to a reflection from Henri Nouwen that I received in my inbox a couple of months ago. Having been a traveler for more or less the whole summer, I find it very appropriate:

Travelling With the Eyes of God 

Travelling - seeing new sights, hearing new music, and meeting new people - is exciting and exhilarating. But when we have no home to return to where someone will ask us, "How was your trip?" we might be less eager to go. Travelling is joyful when we travel with the eyes and ears of those who love us, who want to see our slides and hear our stories. 


This is what life is about. It is being sent on a trip by a loving God, who is waiting at home for our return and is eager to watch the slides we took and hear about the friends we made. When we travel with the eyes and ears of the God who sent us, we will see wonderful sights, hear wonderful sounds, meet wonderful people ... and be happy to return home.




I am so thankful to have family and friends who have both shared in my travels and/or eagerly anticipated pictures & stories from them. But this reflection stands out to me because it reminds me that, above all else, God is waiting to "hear about" our journeys too.



In truth, I saw many sights, celebrated many happy occasions, spent time with incredible friends and family, enjoyed much leisure/reading time, and took many pictures while traveling this summer. I've also posted about many of these travels on this very blog (links included on the bottom). So, thank you for being some of the "eyes and ears" waiting for me back home.

Previous (summer travel-related) blog links - in case you missed (or want to revisit) them:
ACE Parental Choice Symposium
If I Only Took a Trip Song/Poem
Road Trip Pictures
Weekend Trip to Seattle
Detroit Zoo Fun
Northern Michigan Family Excursion

1 comment:

  1. love it! thanks- i think i missed that henri nouwen reflection- so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete