I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Chatty...But Still Good.

How were my students today?

Mmm...let me think...

Chatty.

Eager...but chatty.

That was the shortest "honeymoon" period ever that I've experienced teaching. We better get on fixing this stat.

But let's not jump to conclusions. Still, I'd classify it as a good day.

One student (quite candidly and to his mother) stated, "This is the best start of a school year yet. I love fourth grade!"
Another student was amazed that her and my "Math About Me" totals. (I didn't include my age or student number.) I told her we were both like the 5-5-5 (letters in 1st, middle, & last names) deal from Domino's pizza.
Students worked eagerly and earnestly on their "draw near to God" pictures (photo to come soon - turned out SO good!).

Yes, it was a good day.

And as I look to tomorrow, I am reminded of the wise words of Ralph Waldo Emerson. He reminds us that we should have a positive attitude toward each day, believing it to be the best day of the year:


Write it on your heart 
that every day is the best day in the year. 
He is rich who owns the day, 
and no one owns the day 
who allows it to be invaded with fret and anxiety. 

 Finish every day and be done with it. 
You have done what you could. 
Some blunders and absurdities, no doubt crept in. 
Forget them as soon as you can, tomorrow is a new day; 
begin it well and serenely, with too high a spirit 
to be cumbered with your old nonsense. 

This new day is too dear, 
with its hopes and invitations, 
to waste a moment on the yesterdays.


If we can remember this, I think it'd be easier to keep everything in perspective, don't you?

1 comment:

  1. state fair quote- "i don't care what ralph waldo emerson tells us!"

    haha- but i really do- and i love this quote- had only ever read the part about writing it on your heart (think i even posted about it earlier in august)- was in one of those newsletters- love it!

    ReplyDelete