I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Asking For (& Receiving) More

As I was walking down the corridor from the elevators at the hospital this morning, I counted up the visits I had made during my Ministry of Care duties this morning. The count came to 4 (out of 11). It's not about quantity, I realize that, but it still left me feeling a bit helpless - there I was, serving in the capacity I had originally signed up for, but I felt like I could have done more.

As it turns out, I was meant to do more - with the help of one of the hospital pastoral ministers, I received an updated list (printed specifically for today) with additional patients to see. Even though at that point I had been pretty set on leaving, I decided to gather all of my Ministry of Care materials together and head back up to the 10th floor, from where I had just come.

And I'm really glad I went back. I only ended up spending time with one additional patient when I went back, but it was time that was clearly needed by the elderly woman and, as it turns out, me. While I was saying the prayers, I realized she was praying to herself in Spanish. When it came time to pray the Our Father, we said it in Spanish instead. After she received the Eucharist, she explained that her "version" of the Lord's Prayer was a little different because she grew up in Chile.

And so I asked her about Chile, talked a little about myself (and my friends who studied in Chile with ChACE), and listened about her family. She explained how she was lucky to even be alive today, as she almost had put herself to bed after having a stroke - she hadn't known what it was.

The time went by quickly - and I soon realized I had been there for nearly 30 minutes. As I prepared to leave, she told me that I should keep trying to learn Spanish, and she asked me to pray not for her but for her daughter - but I assured her I would pray for both of them.

I truly believe God heard my prayers this morning of my heart's desire to visit with and minister to more people; it wasn't just a coincidence.

I needed that reminder, God. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment