I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Get Moving...for Catholic Education

Over the years, if I've learned one thing about ACE, it's this: They just never stop - there's always work to do in service for Catholic schools.


This past weekend, I was blessed with the opportunity to attend ACE's annual Parental Choice Symposium, which, for the first time was co-hosted in Milwaukee and Tampa. I honestly didn't know what I was getting myself into - which, let's face it, is really nothing new, considering my history of decision-making and choices - but I am so glad I went. Just being around "experts" (such as Howard Fuller) and semi-"experts" in the field of parental choice was enough to make my head spin (in a good way).

(The food was good too.)

I found it particularly of interest to learn more about these programs, considering how ignorant I was spending time in 2 states (FL and AZ) that have tax credit programs. (If I'd known then what I know now...) I honestly can't relay it all here - first of all, it was a LOT of info, and second of all, I probably couldn't do it justice - but as the road towards parental choice continues (especially here in IL), I'll continue to update as I learn more and get more involved.

In Florida, the organization "Step Up for Students" hosted 2 days of school choice/ed policy "boot camp" to fill us in on what's been working in Florida. There were so many acronyms, tax credit rules, committees, graphs, and more that I'm still sorting them all out. But the bottom line seems to be that FL has it set up for success - what can we take from their model and state laws to replicate (well, at least model after, considering how different states have different laws and taxes) in other states. And, even though FL is doing an amazing job - there really is no denying that - there is still more to be done. Students and schools and parents are still not aware of the needs-based scholarships available to them...and that has to change.

Add it all up, and you find that these tax credit and (in some states) voucher programs are saving the state money and helping to fill empty seats in Catholic schools.


Are you familiar with parental choice? I'm still learning too. Here are just a few resources I plan to explore - Check them out -->

Step Up for Students
The Friedman Foundation
ACE Advocates Parental Choice Symposium info

To wrap up, let's talk a little numbers, shall we?...

There were 9 (that's about 1/3 of our contingency) of us from the Chicago area - just for the record, that's not a coincidence. It's the start of a conversation, a plan to get the ball rolling right here in Illinois. We're talking grassroots efforts right here...and it's both exciting and intimidating. It's something to fight for...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and am looking forward to working with the group from Chicago!

    ReplyDelete