I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Makin' Memories...

In keeping with my theme of memories, one of my favorites has to be back around Valentine's Day when we had some parents come in to lead us in a few projects.

Amid the organized chaos, I wasn't quite paying attention to what I was doing, and my coteacher soon discovered I had been brushing off my cocoa-covered hands on the back pockets of my pants. Oops. Man, did we laugh about that one, and good old Lynne wanted to make sure we documented the event as well. Oh, it happened.

In the classroom, we've been looking back this week as well. Today we did an alpha boxes activity, where we had the students independently come up with the "ABCs of 4th Grade" - and did they come up with some gems! Students even remembered the turkey apples we made for Thanksgiving and the different books we did for read alouds. (It always floors me what students remember!) Such good times...

And as we have been cleaning and remembering this week, it's hard not to start tearing up. I just put together a video slideshow with pictures and music from the entire year, and I honestly don't think I can show this on Friday without crying. (Gosh darn it - that happens every year! And I'm not even going anywhere this time!) How far these kiddos have come - and as much as I'm ready for summer, I'm not ready to give these students up yet.

Yet, there is so much to look forward to in the coming year as well - with one year under our belt, the fourth grade teaching team is remaining intact, and we'll be even more on the ball. And, while the upcoming class looks like they'll be a little challenging (and pretty much a handful), they're also a great group of kids. And, let's face it, next fall will be here before we know it...

No comments:

Post a Comment