I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Friday, June 8, 2012

Still learning...

My co-teacher and I showed the slideshow to the kiddos this morning, and that's when the tears started coming for both of us. The students were so confused because neither of us is leaving so why were we crying?

I don't know what it is - but every year (without fail!), it happens. There's something about having been with one group of kids each step of their learning experience for a year - and there's something remarkable about tracing just how much they've grown.

Some memories are (literally) sweet - like our Poetry Chocolate House...
Some memories are sad - such as when a student leaves the class...
Some memories make us laugh and others make us sit back in wonder...

It's amazing, really, when you think about it, just how much these children absorb day in and day out. And, what I've found, is that they learn the most not when I'm speaking but when I'm acting...

They see patience (or, at times, lack of it), and they see how much I LOVE to read. They notice when I do something kind for someone or even stoop down to pick up a piece of trash or tie a shoelace. They notice when I smile and when I laugh. They see that sign language is something very special to me, and that when it's time for prayer I am 100% in the "zone." These are things they see me do - they don't just hear me talk about them. And then, they realize, these things are authentic and have meaning, and maybe they think they should try them too.

I've learned so much this year - while the transition from AZ was, indeed, a tough one, this new school community welcomed me with open arms. I've had incredible opportunities to learn from my fourth grade team and to teach in a very rigorous and demanding environment. I know I'm a better teacher because of it all.

flowers from a few students :)

I'm excited for next fall - that's certain...but I think I'll enjoy a little summer first...

No comments:

Post a Comment