I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Then you go downtown...

Downtown Chicago is a place I do not regularly frequent. However, within a little over a 24 hour period this Saturday & Sunday, I was down there 3 times. (I've practically memorized the order of the l stops heading south!) I feel like I've been go go go these past days, but it's been a lot of fun too. (Brace yourself - this is pretty much a narrative)

On Saturday morning I hopped on the l and went to the hospital for my last Ministry of Care (MOC) visit until after summer break. All of the people I ministered to were gracious and grateful - and I, in turn, was ministered to by them as well. One woman was so sweet - we got to talking about Notre Dame - apparently her husband (and her husband's brothers) played basketball for ND back in the 50s. (I wish I would have caught the name!)

Taking the l back home, I ended up getting off at my sister's stop - from there, we walked to just about my apartment so she could do some quick "apartment shopping" for next year. We grabbed lunch on the way, and afterward we went to Bobtail Ice Cream Shoppe.

The shoppe - been meaning to go here for quite some time!

Merlot Chocolate Chip ice cream = divine!

Needless to say - good life choice.

Marisa and I parted ways then, and when I got home, I was able to do some leisure reading, first finishing up a middle grades fantasy book (A Tale Dark and Grimm) and then moving onto a book about running. Woo hoo!

      

Before I knew it, it was time to head downtown again - this time = destination Navy Pier to meet up with a roommate from the good old summer days at STP camp in Buffalo. (Good times.)

roomie reunion - woo hoo!

We enjoyed a free happy hour first, and then we proceeded to a pretty well-known restaurant (Harry Caray's) at Navy Pier, where we enjoyed dinner, drinks, and, finally, fireworks! (All of which were splendid)

Chicago skyline by night

      

The morning came quicker than anticipated, as my sister and I were up early in an effort to beat the sun - which, let's be clear, did not happen - and our "long run" was a bit brutal. But it did feel good to get those legs moving.

As lunch time approached, I once again hopped on the l, met up with my sister, and then, together, we made it downtown to meet one of our professors from college who was in town for the annual APS convention. After a bit of walking we hadn't quite planned on (wrong Marriott - oops), we had a very nice (long) Thai lunch. It was so good to catch up and both share our stories and hear hers too. (I don't think she ever stops!)

Aside from it being brutally hot, it was a very nice day. After ensuring our professor made the right train towards the airport, we headed back home as well. Thoroughly beat, we decided to quench our "thirst" with frozen yogurt - hey now, it was on our way to Trader Joe's.

Again, good life choice.

(No, not all my good life choices include food.)

And, seeing as it's now 6:15, that means I'll be needing to leave for Mass within 20 minutes or so. Looking forward to Pentecost Sunday. (I'm even wearing red!) Plus, when I get home tonight, I'm going to be attempting "Beer & Pretzel Chocolate Chip" cookies for tomorrow's Memorial Day cookout/bbq. I'll let you know how those go...

Thank goodness there's no school tomorrow - I'm going to need a day of recuperation after this weekend! Phew!

1 comment:

  1. let's be honest- most of them do involve food... haha just kidding ;) (at least most of the ones where you and i say "good life choice.")

    ReplyDelete