I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Be You-nique!

In light of a writing unit for literary essays, the students have been delving into some of their favorite picture books and novels for the deeper messages that the books bring.

One of the most common themes that we've found is along the lines of being yourself and not letting others tell you what you should do.

It's a universal theme, discussed (likely) from the beginning of time. Think about it...


In the words of Oscar Wilde: "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

Or, as Judy Garland would say, “Always be a first rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else.”

And, in the immortal words of Dr. Seuss: “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

All of this got me thinking about things I do that I enjoy that all add up to making me uniquely me. Why would I give any of these things up?:

1- I love the power of words. And what I like even more than that is using them to create poetry and tell stories. Obviously, I blog. Heck, sometimes I even make jokes. (See #3)
2- Singing makes my heart happy. I would, literally, sing and hum all day if there weren't other things that occupied my time (like my job). And, when given the choice between a good ol' 50s musical and a trending new film, I'll likely choose the musical every time.
3- Make 'em laugh and laugh right along with 'em. And, when possible, use corny humor. (See #1) Being silly is a forte of mine.
4- Read. Ponder. Pass on book (and excitement for book). Pick up new book. Repeat. (I LOVE learning new things!) Ooh, and share all good blogs too!
5- Praying and learning/teaching about God is such a blessing to do daily with students and with friends. In fact, any extra opportunities to go to Mass or to try a new Catholic tradition
6- Go Spartans, Irish, and USF Bulls! A random combination, it's true, but don't mess with me and my sports teams - I can get pretty hardcore and competitive with college sports...
7- Spending time outside (especially in nice weather) is not overrated. Walking or running, wandering or doing an errand - there's something about being entirely in tune with the beauty of God's creation. (And it's entertaining to people watch sometimes too.)
8- I like taking pictures. Sometimes, I even enter contests: http://www.nwf.org/PhotoContest/PhotoContestHome.aspx?perma=kfoyle11@gmail.com (you can vote for me at this link)

I could probably go on, but this is a good start. And, as previously stated, these are things about me that I should never want to give up just to fit in with other people. It's good to be comfortable with yourself because, then, others will be comfortable with you too.

What about you? What adds up to help make you (you)niquely you?

Remember, "If God had wanted me otherwise, He would have created me otherwise." (Johann von Goethe)

No comments:

Post a Comment