I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Such sillies...

Nothing beats a good chuckle to kick off the morning - especially when that chuckle is the result of one student's rather dramatic reenactment of a dream. Let me relay it to you (briefly) here:

Ms. Foyle, Ms. Foyle, I had this horrible dream last night!! I dreamed that you said you were leaving the school and not coming back until I was in high school. And then, your books were gone. And you were gone too. I was so scared!

I don't know what amused me more - that she was so dramatic about this dream or that she was more worried about my books being gone than me. (Although, that wouldn't be the first time a student expressed such a concern - those were the same sentiments from my students in Phoenix too...but they did admit that they would miss me after all.)

Mind you, this was the very same student who, while we were on our field trip to the Wizard of Oz play on Wednesday, said, "Take a picture of me on your phone. You can set it as your screensaver!" (Um, probably not a good idea...just saying...but it was funny nonetheless.)

Sometimes I wish I had a camera on these kiddos 24/7 (and then I think better of it) - they can be so unpredictable in funny, insightful, and downright unbelievable ways. At one moment I can be hitting my head with frustration and the next I can be doubled over in laughter. It's quite incredible, really. There is no way of knowing how the days will pan out. It's completely up to God (via the students). And that's one of the things that is just so crazy and engaging with teaching - being spontaneous in response to events, comments, and etc. in the classroom comes in the job description. And that helps make all the hard work worthwhile...

No comments:

Post a Comment