I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Latest Attempts at Poetry

Being immersed with such great ideas and teachers/authors was probably once source of inspiration for my continuing dapple in poetry. I know I just gushed onto the pages of this blog with thoughts of Wonderstruck, but humor me as I share my latest poetry endeavors with you.

(As you'll notice, they are both themed around summer vacations in Michigan; however, the styles are different - one rhymes and one is haiku. Maybe some day I'll compile all of my "Michigan Memories," as far as poems go, into one place - there were so many good ones...memories, that is; not poems. Ha ha.)

Write Me a Memory
A Rhyming Poem
(KF 5/1/12)

It may not seem like much now,
But memories abound.
And if I listen closely,
I still can hear the sound

Of grandkids splashing in the pool,
And laughter ringing through the air,
Of sweet hellos and sad goodbyes
Every summer we spent there.

I still can smell the cookies
Grandma just laid out to cool
And taste the fresh-picked berries
That without fail made us drool.

On the front porch was a red bench,
Where Dad sat to play guitar.
And he’d always greet the neighbors
Passing by on foot or car.

With lots of summer birthdays
Came family gatherings.
Food and fun, some silly stories
Were a few things we’d all bring.

The basement was our refuge –
A place to read and play;
Curled up with books or shooting pool,
That’s how we’d spend our days.

We often would play card games
To pass the afternoons
Or take a walk close by ‘round dark
To spot the stars and moon.

In the magic of the summer
Our grandparents’ house was best.
Years passed fast, but memories will last –
Gathered together, we were blessed!


My Sand Dune Questions
A Haiku
(KF 5/2/12)

Michigan sand dunes
Only a car ride away –
Can we go now, please?

With ev’ry step up,
We would fall sev’ral ones down.
Would we reach the top?

Sand in our sneakers,
Soft wind whipping through our hair –
Mom, where’s the sunscreen?

1 comment: