I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, January 31, 2019

Catholic School City Life

When I tell people I'm from Florida (and lived in Arizona for a few years), they always look at me with a puzzled face (especially during the winter stretch) and ask, "So, why do you live in Chicago?"

I came because my sister came first - it was hard to be as far away from family as I had been in Phoenix, so I figured I would move to where Marisa was or move home to Florida. I pursued Chicago (where one of my friends helped me get my foot in the door for an interview for a fourth grade position at the school he worked in), and the rest, as they say, is history.

This would prove another Catholic school that formed me in so many ways, many of which I may never know or realize. During my time at ICSJ, I worked with many skilled and devoted colleagues. Our principals held us (and the students) to the highest standards of excellence, and it felt like we were always on the cutting edge of curriculum, scheduling, PD, etc.

I gained two more years of experience co-teaching fourth grade with three incredible women, and then I had the opportunity to take on the position of middle school religion teacher. I'm sure many people (including my mother) questioned my sanity for switching to middle school, but it was such a good decision, and I am forever grateful to my principal for recognizing my gifts and passion for teaching the faith and for giving me that chance.

As I taught the students, I learned more and more about the Catholic faith - the whats and the whys behind different teachings, rituals, and prayers. I deepened my appreciation for the saints, especially in helping students prepare for Confirmation, and I made time for Bible studies outside of school in order to learn more so as to better help my students. I asked so many questions (and am grateful for friends and priests who helped me find the answers), and I fell deeper in love with our faith. While many students still protested at the thought of going to Mass and didn't always see eye to eye with the Catholic teachings, I sincerely hope that I planted a few seeds over those five years teaching middle school.

It was also over my time at ICSJ that I was supported by my principal in my Remick program courses, and where I was given many opportunities for professional development and leadership experience. I would be remiss if I didn't mention my volleyball girls - we spent 5 years together on the court, and I will never forget the lessons I learned from them, and I can only hope they learned a few things (not just about volleyball but also being young women of faith) from me and my co-coaches.

Thank you, ICSJ, for seven years of learning and deepening my faith. Thank you for helping me strive for excellence in my teaching and in fostering my leadership skills among my peers.

(Please pray for this year's ICSJ 8th graders who will be receiving the sacrament of Confirmation this weekend - I know they have been working hard, and I can't wait to celebrate with them!)

4th grade teaching team

never wear black pants when doing a Valentine's Day craft with cocoa powder...

more fourth grade fun - learning the regions (and having people send postcards from around the USA)

In 2017 I was blessed to sponsor this young lady for her Confirmation

No comments:

Post a Comment