I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, January 28, 2019

Salesian in High School, Salesian for Life

Our parents gave us a choice for high school - the IB program at the public high school across town or St. Petersburg Catholic (formerly Bishop Barry (for boys) and Notre Dame (for girls) when our mom attended).

We chose St. Petersburg Catholic. Even as a rising high school student, I had a deep desire for Catholic education (and smaller class sizes, probably).

And it wasn't just a Catholic high school - it was Salesian. Our principal, Fr. Lou, embodied his order's charism in everything he did and especially in how he ran our school. We held monthly Mass in the gym, we attended grade level retreats, we had an annual "Mary Help of Christians" day on the feast of Don Bosco, we had weekly afterschool Mass days assigned to each sports team in season, and tons more. Our principal had a wonderful rapport among the students, faculty, and families. We always got a kick out of his weekly Friday afternoon announcements, when he would give us the reminder that "you don't have to do bad things to have a good time."

It was in high school that my desire to become more involved in service and social justice really grew and developed. I joined the Respect Life club, and one of our annual events was to bring meals and sing carols to shut-ins at Christmas time. I participated in a week-long service trip called "Gospel Roads" the summer after high school - it was in New Jersey with other Salesian students from around the eastern part of the country. We went out to soup kitchens and food warehouses; we prayed and reflected. We witnessed so much need, not just for material things but also for human compassion. It was incredible.

It was also in high school that I grew spiritually and as a leader, largely as a result of my participation in (and later leadership at) the Salesian Leadership Retreats. I remember wanting to attend so badly my senior year - we had to write essays to apply and be nominated by our teachers. And then, we waited. I also remember being nervous about traveling so far away from home and meeting many new faces from around the country. But, as soon as I got there, I realized I had nothing to fear because we were all made to feel at home right away. I grew in confidence and faith that week on retreat in October, and I was nominated by my peers to go back in March as a leader on the same retreat (that would be put on for high school juniors). It was on that retreat when I gave my first witness talk - I was so nervous...but when I was done, Fr. Greg (who chaperoned from our school) said, "What exactly were you nervous about? You were great." (Thanks, Fr. Greg.)

I did the normal high school stuff too - I played volleyball and soccer, participated in the drama troupe and school plays, enrolled in National Honor Society, attended football and basketball games, was co-salutatorian (with my sister, of course), and did other things... My sister and I found our place with a small, tight-knit group of friends who I still see whenever I go home to Florida. We pray for each other in good times and in bad. I am so grateful for their continued gift of friendship.

I know I would not be where I am today without the gift of Catholic education in high school. I am grateful for the opportunities I was blessed with and the friends I made, as these things and people helped shape me into the person I am today. The Salesian charism/way of life is written on my heart, and it's been an important part of my own teaching and leadership experience.

Thank you, SPC, and, as always, Go Barons!


October Salesian Provincial Leadership Retreat (2003)

some of my dearest friends to this day (and now their own kids!)

summer boating excursion with high school friends

with our beloved principal, Fr. Lou, at Tiffany's wedding!

School Musical, "The Pajama Game" (Fall 2003)

Tommy's wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment