I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, January 27, 2019

Everything I Need to Know I Learned in...Catholic Elementary School

Holy Family Catholic School - what a truly incredible place. 

It's probably impossible as an elementary student to fully grasp the impact a school and its teachers have had on you as you're growing up. (I'd place a wager that it's hard for many of us as adults to do that too!)

I think of all of my school leaders (Sr. Regina and Sr. Flo) and teachers - Miss Ferguson (& Mrs. Schultz), Mrs. Crabtree, Mrs. Miner, Mrs. Bridge (& Sister Melanie), Miss McKenzie, Mrs. Chase, Mrs. Hosack, Mr. Greenough, Miss Kessler, Ms. Brinsko, Mrs. Fair, Coach Mac, Mrs. Apple, and more - they gave me (and my classmates) strong foundational skills in math and reading, social studies and science, music and art, but I even more remember the love, joy, energy, and compassion with which they taught each day. They didn't just teach the Catholic faith; they lived it.

Many of these teachers were the role models and inspirations for my own career in teaching. Luckily, I've stayed involved somewhat in the parish and school over the years (my parents are still parishioners, and my mom still works at the school), so I've had the opportunity to be able to thank some of them as I've grown older, but I honestly can never say enough. But I hope they know how much they have meant to me and countless others who have been fortunate to be called their students.

My heart is so full remembering the sporting events, annual jog-a-thons, Christmas carol sing-a-longs, music and mime ministries, melodramas, book folder projects, art fairs, book fairs, student leadership board... I could go on and on with many an anecdote or memory, truly - so many opportunities for learning, growing, and loving. But I'll leave it at this for now.

So, thank you, Holy Family teachers and staff, for your amazing dedication to your students and families. Thank you for giving me a firm foundation in both faith and knowledge; thank you for helping to mold my conscience and my character. Thank you for inspiring me to pursue a career in Catholic education and our ultimate goal as Catholics, heaven.

Go Falcons!


Here are a couple of snapshots from the good old elementary school days. I should have asked my mom to scan and send more pictures - I'm certain she has some gems...


No comments:

Post a Comment