I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Saturday, January 26, 2019

My Week-long Ode to Catholic Schools

As a product of Catholic schools all of my life (minus a brief 4 year stint when I attended a public university for college - but still managed to spend a great deal of time at the Catholic Student Union) and as an educator in Catholic schools for 10+ years, I'm a huge proponent of Catholic education. That's why, even in the midst of the craziness of Catholic Schools Week (between dress down days and assemblies, Masses and competitions), I'll admit that I love it.

Catholic schools are a treasure.
(I'm not trying to boast.)
They prepare kids beyond measure
with what matters the most:

They teach both heart and mind;
Students always come first.
They learn how to be kind,
For truth and knowledge they thirst.

It's more than scores on a test
(Though, those do matter a bit)
Did this student try his best?
Did that young lady show grit?

It's somewhat hard to express*
what Catholic education is worth
So, in terms rather simple, it's
a great gift from God on this earth.

*especially in rhyme ;)

(Clearly I had some poetry-writing stored up since I didn't do my usual Christmas card poem this year...)

Anyways...If you've been a follower of this blog for awhile (or if you've just happened upon it from time to time), it's likely no surprise to you how much my posts focus on Catholic education. Back during CSW 2017, I shared the witness that I gave to my students and school community during the homily about why I'm invested in Catholic education. While I was in grad school with the Remick program, I wrote about how I have fallen in love with Catholic education (my very own "What Would You Fight For?"). And the posts have gone on...

This Catholic Schools Week I've decided to give a small shout out to the Catholic schools I've had the blessing to either attend as a student or work at as a teacher/leader by posting a short reflection each day. I hope if you've had the opportunity to attend a (or many) Catholic school(s) throughout your childhood (or if you currently work in one) that you take a few moments this week to reflect on your own experience and to pray for Catholic schools around our country, especially those currently struggling to keep their doors open, those working to expand access to many through school choice legislation, and those that act as safe havens for students in need.



Happy Catholic Schools Week 2019!



No comments:

Post a Comment