I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

ACE at ND, FTW

Growing up, I always wondered what the fascination was with Notre Dame. Why was everyone an Irish fan even if they hadn't attended?

Fortunately, I had the opportunity to discover firsthand when I enrolled as a student as part of the Alliance for Catholic Education's Master of Education program (and later as part of the Mary Ann Remick Leadership program). And so, my Catholic education journey continued...and this time, it would lead me into teaching (and, eventually, leading) in Catholic schools (but those schools are saved for the next blog posts).

What a gift to study along such talented and devoted men and women pursuing their own MEd. The fact that we had incredible Holy Cross priests, daily dorm/chapel Mass, retreats, and many havens, including the Grotto, at our fingertips was truly a blessing. To quote Tom Dooley, "Do the students ever appreciate what they have, while they have it?" I'm not sure we ever truly could...at least, I know for me I tried but fell short. Still, the faith formation was tantamount, and while I could have pursued teaching through other channels or programs, my education would not have been the same.

If putting into words what Holy Family and St. Pete Catholic did for me was hard, expressing the value of my experience at Notre Dame (and with the amazing individuals I met, lived with, and worked with there) is going to be nearly impossible... but I'll try.

Here are just a few things I learned:

1. I learned that the foundational part of teaching comes from building relationships with your students. Our professors modeled that with us and helped us build relationships with one another. As my dad always reminds me, "Your students won't care how much you know until they know how much you care." ACE encouraged creativity, divergent thinking. The program energized us and gave us resources to run our own classrooms. I loved our elementary content classes, mostly because of my fellow classmates in there with me - so much joy and zeal.




2. I learned the true definition of community by living with five of the most fun-loving, creative, adventure-seeking, and crazy (which I say with nothing but love!) people I've ever met. They helped me find balance between work and personal life. They helped me expand my cooking repertoire. They helped me perfect my dance moves. They shared their cars without question whenever I needed to borrow them. They taught me how to depend on others, how to accept help, and how to trust more deeply. ACE would not have been the same without them. (It's been way too long since we've all been together, so I can't wait for Pat's wedding this summer - reunion!)

So, we borrowed some shopping cards, and when it was time to return them, we (naturally) had a shopping cart race.

Graduation weekend - ACE Phoenix at the Backer

This group Halloween costume was my favorite - we knew how to have a good time

Maggie's baptism!

3. My first efforts in organizing and managing fundraising came during my time at Notre Dame as well. In my second year, we hosted the annual ACE marathon in Phoenix for my school. The ACE marathon was not only a great excuse to keep up my long distance running (which I do to this day) but also a way to get involved with running for a cause. That marathon weekend in 2010 was definitely one of my all-time favorites - we had a great turnout, my sister and I ran a good race, and we supported SJV! I'm pretty sure these lessons in fundraising will help me as I continue in Catholic school leadership...



4. When life hands you a tremendous group of friends and colleagues, stay in touch (both on professional and personal levels). Yes, we grew together through educational means and social outings, but ACE truly helped us grow together on a spiritual level. Retreats, daily Mass, prayer before classes, Holy Cross priests...ACE formed our hearts just as much as (if not more than) our minds, IMHO. While I don't do the best at staying in touch with many of these folks on even a not-so-regular basis, it's always a true joy when we cross paths at weddings, conferences, trips to various cities, etc. (And, luckily, I live in the same city as a handful of these folks, so that has brought much joy as well!)



5. God may be calling you...listen! Notre Dame has played a huge role in helping me find my vocation (in job terms; in life terms, I'm still figuring that one out) - for not once, but twice, I was formed through an ACE program, the second time as a school leader (with 29 other amazing leaders and friends). It took some time, but enough people directed comments (which, at the time, I thought were just off-hand) to me over the years suggesting that I go into school leadership that I decided to apply for the Remick program. Over the course of the two year program, I learned from both professors and peers about the three pillars of spiritual leadership, instructional leadership, and executive management...and I'm still learning (from the best(!) at my current school). Again, to be formed as a leader through a Catholic program was key, in my opinion.

First ACE 15, then RLP 15. <one million heart explosions>

RLP graduation weekend (July 2018)

RLP graduation (July 2018)


Thank you, Notre Dame and ACE, for growing me as a Catholic school educator and leader. Our hearts (at least mine) do, forever, love thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment