I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Friday, February 1, 2019

Catholic School Leadership 101

I didn't plan to leave ICSJ at the end of the 2017-2018 school year...but when an opportunity to work with an incredible Catholic school leader falls in your lap (I'm forever grateful, Greg!), you take a chance, apply, and pray.

I won't lie, it was a tough couple of weeks discerning whether to even apply in the first place and then, if I got the job (after the two rounds of interviews) if I should take it. A handful of friends were incredibly helpful in helping me think through the pros and cons, whether in person or on the phone (or even via email) - I couldn't have done it without them...or, at least, it would have been quite a bit more difficult and less clear.

And it was a hectic time of year - volleyball season was ending, I was getting ready to run a marathon, and I was having my year-end teacher evaluation meeting with my principal. But it all worked out, my principal was extremely supportive, and everything wrapped up quite nicely.

Going into the school year, I wasn't sure how I would feel to be out of the classroom after doing it for ten years. (It was going to be a change, that was the only sure part.) I knew I would be younger than many of the teachers I would be leading, but I also knew that my principal would be an amazing mentor and that she believed in me. And the first semester turned out pretty well. I know I made some mistakes - there's always opportunity for growth and learning - and I'd like to think I did at least a few things right. When friends ask me what I miss most about teaching, I not so jokingly reply that I don't miss the grading or lesson planning. (There, I admitted it.)

I've had the opportunity to walk with students in good times (e.g. girls' basketball championship, pizza with the principals, school play, etc.) and in hard times (e.g. poor behavior choices, death of student family members). My principal makes the bulk of the decisions, but she consults me quite a bit, and I'm learning the ins and outs of our Southside community. I truly believe I'm learning from the best.






As Catholic Schools Week comes to a close, I can't imagine not being in Catholic education. As the ACE Academies so succinctly put it, our goals for our students are college and heaven - and what more noble goals can there be?

Please continue to pray for our Catholic schools across the nation, our students, faculties, leaders, and families - may God strengthen us all in wisdom and love as we strive each day to make God known, loved, and served to all we meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment