I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

No More Cutting Corners

"It's the easy way, but it's not the best way."  One of my students stated this in response to a question along the lines of "Why can't we just copy from the book?"

"It's the easy way, but it's not the best way."  When I heard that response, I just looked at my co-teacher, and we both smiled in understanding of the simple but deep truth that this young lady had just uttered - after all, as she went on to point out, if we don't put it in our own words, then we're not really sure we understand it. (Truth.)

"It's the easy way, but it's not the best way."  How often do we find ourselves cutting corners because it makes it easier in that time and place? I know I do from time to time (especially when it comes to filing papers or folding my laundry). And what do I find later? Things are much more difficult than they would have been if I had not been quite so lazy with the earlier task. 

"It's the easy way, but it's not the best way."  And that's the way it is with teaching too - Sure, we could go along with what we've always done because less changes would save more time. But maybe one of our assessments wasn't quite designed right or at the desired level of difficulty/critical thinking. Maybe one of our lessons doesn't meet enough learning styles. If we sit there and say, "Oh well, at least it's something that's been done before," then who are we really cheating? Hmmm...Yeah, it might be easier at the time, but let's think about the consequences.

"It's the easy way, but it's not the best way."   I feel that this phrase is now emblazoned in my brain, so it's time to make sure I won't be the one to cut corners this year. 

Guess it's time to put those scissors back on the shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment