I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, August 29, 2011

First Day = Full Heart

Nicely pressed jumpers...tucked-in shirts...squeaky shoes...shorts with belts...nicely-combed hair...brand new backpacks and supplies...smiling faces...

You guessed it - school started today. Well, I sure got a dose of nostalgia for my own time as a Catholic grade school student - plaid and all - taking my first day of school pictures and getting ready to meet my teacher and class for the year. I just remember being SO excited - everything was new and fresh, and there was so much opportunity ahead.

As I greeted the students (those in my class and those in other classes), I realized that they were ours for the next 170-something school days.

And my heart was full. (I swear, I can't move again any time soon because I just keep meeting such incredible children!)
And my mind began to race: Will we have reluctant writers? or perhaps voracious readers? Will we have Notre Dame fans or ones who cheer for the Cubs at baseball season?

Only time will tell. Guess I'm just going to have to be patient...

No comments:

Post a Comment