I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Full Speed Ahead

For Sunday being a "day of rest," it sure had me fooled. Although, I eased into the day, after about noon I was on full speed.

A special Mass was held at my new school this morning, and it was beautiful! From the students in uniform (I'm so excited the children wear plaid here too!) to the familiar music to the well-spoken homily of the Cardinal to the reception in the school cafeteria, everything was well-planned and welcoming. It was nice to sit with the other faculty (and for my sister to come and meet my co-workers too). I even saw a handful of my students! (And, admittedly, I got all excited because I realized that these children are about to be entrusted to my care for the upcoming year, and there are lots of memories to be made.)

Following Mass, I drove over to Marisa's old apartment to help her with the final clean and move. (Don't worry, we had lunch and gelato (yum!) first. After all, you can't work on an empty stomach...) We were pretty efficient, but quite sadly her bookcase was less than a centimeter (on each end) too wide to fit in her trunk. So much for that idea. 

Plan B - buy a new bookcase at Target...and then assemble it. That meant I had to buy some tools too. (I was proud of myself for getting in and out of the store so quickly - usually Target is a great diversion.)

Back at home (yes, I felt like a ping pong ball), I first decided to put together the end table that had come with my bed. It took nearly an hour, but it has a drawer that pulls out (and it works), so I was pretty satisfied. With that done, I decided a short run was in order - Lake Michigan, how I love you!

And then it was back to work - this time on that bookcase. (Well, I did have dinner first.) After putting a few boards together in the wrong direction, I reviewed the directions and made the fix. And voila! I must say, things are looking much more organized in my bedroom. I can see parts of my floor, and there are no more random boxes - things are either on the shelves, under the bed, or in the closet. Phew! What a process!

And now it's after 10:30 - that's definitely past my bedtime. Yikes! Time sure flies when you're having fun. Although, I honestly don't feel that tired...and I know I probably won't be able to get much sleep anyways - tomorrow's the first official day of school!

After such a long summer, it's hard to believe that school is back in session. But here goes nothing...

No comments:

Post a Comment