I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, August 15, 2011

Alike...But Different

And then there were 60...or maybe more. Holy cow. With that many people on faculty, it's a little overwhelming, especially when coming from a school with between 20 & 25 faculty members.

Now, that's different. Man, it's going to take awhile to memorize names and faces, let alone meet and get to know my fellow teachers. You  might say I have a bit of a head start - I think I know about 7 or 8...

I did find comfort in the "normal" back to school routine (minus the whole getting up before the sun thing), with passing out of schedules, handbooks, etc. I suppose most schools are the same along those lines, right? Plus, we had a whole afternoon of emergency preparedness training. (I have to admit, though, that even after a can of Diet Coke, I was still fighting the yawns and heavy eyelids - and the presenter was actually pretty good!)

But do you know what gets me really excited about the back to school routine? Decorating and designing the physical classroom space! (Ok, maybe that's a rhetorical question, or maybe it's just an obvious answer.) But seriously, I cannot wait to see my classroom (tomorrow!) and get started.


Yes, maybe these next few days will bring longer hours, but I've come to expect that - it's something that stays the same as a teacher no matter where you serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment