I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, August 22, 2011

Co- What?

Confession - I actually had to go back and read old blog posts (good thing there aren't too many!) to see if I had already penned (well, typed) my thoughts about co-teaching. I haven't...until now.

What is co-teaching? I'll let you know when I find out...

JUST KIDDING! Long definition short (and sweet) - it's 2 certified teachers in a classroom each giving 100%, providing smaller groups, team teaching, intervention, and support to the students (and each other) every day.

Oh, but where to begin? First thought - Wow, with two teachers working together there should be less work, almost like divide and conquer. Yeah...uh...no. It doesn't quite work out like that. In fact (as I've told numerous people this week), it actually takes about 3-5 times longer to get things done because every decision is made as part of a team.

So yes, we even had to come to consensus on bulletin board colors and designs. (I am actually quite pleased with how they came out!) But hey, once we decided what colors to make them and what slogans we would use, we had those babies up in no time.

Is it frustrating? Not really. Call me crazy, but the accountability and identity as a team is very assuring. Maybe that's why I'm not freaking out that our classroom and lesson plans aren't finished yet. Quite frankly, we're not even close to being done for Friday's Open House. But we'll get there. Strangely enough, I feel like time is on our side.

I guess I have yet to provide a complete answer to what co-teaching is (Sorry!), but, like our classroom, my definition will be shaped and finished over time.

Guess you'll just have to stick with me on this journey as I find out more about it on a daily basis and then proceed to relay it here for you as best I can...

No comments:

Post a Comment