I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Thanks


...So it's okay to reach out to some of those people when you need a little bit of help...

(I know this quotation is more likely to be interpreted along the lines of keeping an open mind and trying to learn all you can from those around you, but I think it's fitting for my purposes today.)

especially when it comes to teaching religion...

especially when needing to gain a sense of perspective of the 2000 years of Catholic history post-Christ...

Because, let's face it, when you only have a general idea of some of the material you need to teach, it's probably pretty impossible to be effective in the classroom.

But when a friend helps you get to the big ideas and essential take-aways (while also explaining some additional key details), it all starts to come together...and you breathe a little easier...and, while you know it's still going to be challenging to come up with lessons to convey the concepts, you still feel confident that your teaching tool belt is better stocked than before and you won't be a complete failure.

And you sigh with relief.

Well, at least I did.

I am so grateful for the people in my life who, at any given time, have given and continue to give of their time to help explain something to me, pray for my intentions, listen to me talk things out - time they likely need to complete something of their own.

I am surrounded (both in local and distant proximity) by an amazing network of family and friends, and it's days like these when I remember that I need to thank them from the bottom of my heart.



On an unrelated note, Happy Halloween. My pumpkin remains uncarved (if that's even a word?) on the living room floor, but I have hopes for last-minute after-school inspiration. Be safe everyone, and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment