I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Let the Children Come to Me...

Ministry of Care days are always such a blessing.

Today, my visits were not long, nor were they many, but my heart was happy to see so many children - in the waiting rooms, in patient rooms, in the elevator, by the Starbucks.

I overheard one child saying, "I saw Uncle ____, and I told him I loved him."

And I thought, wow.

I believe it's so important for those visiting the hospitals to bring their children with them - they bring such joy and hope to the patients as well as to those of us who happen to pass by at just the right moments. In addition, I think it's good for the kiddos too - sure it requires a lot of patience and ability to follow rules, but practicing those things is good for them.

I remember going to both the nursing home and the hospital/Hospice as I was growing up - and I'm pretty sure that my experiences there not only brought me closer to my relatives but also helped me develop an appreciation for and desire to help (in my small way) the aging and those who are sick/recovering.

I am so thankful to those families who brought their children today - it was likely a struggle or a trip balanced with something like "we can get ice cream when we finish," but it was SO beautiful.

"Let the children come to me"...in the sick and suffering...in the hearts of all people...

No comments:

Post a Comment