I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, October 14, 2013

Day off...So, what did I do...?

How did I spend my day off from school?

Well, I did get a lot done this morning...

- I went for a quick jog at the gym, where I was able to catch up on the news.
- I bought dish soap and cleaned a large pile of plates/bowls loaded up in our sink.
- I dropped 2 of my coats off at the cleaners.
- I baked a pumpkin dessert.
- I finished planning my second 8th grade unit.

And then I got to work on three performance assessments (& their rubrics) for my middle school religion classes.

Let's just say, that took awhile.

All feelings of being productive earlier in the day quickly vanished.

I am not sure if what I came up with even makes sense, but here is the gist of each of the projects:

6th grade - Compose a letter of faith to their future selves, explaining what they know about topics like the Trinity, the 4 Marks of the Church, etc. and also what they hope to know (through comments and questions) in the coming years

7th grade - Create (draw) & explain a set of 3 "Instagram" photos to catch people's faith in action, including the 4 Marks of the Church, prayer in life, and evangelization

8th grade - Design & explain a modern-day disciple action figure(s) equipped with materials/traits/accessories to help share the faith, deal with evil in the world, understand the Trinity, etc.

I hope my rubrics are more reflective of student performance/understanding of material this time - last time, I think some students ended up with better scores than they deserved/earned. However, I did listen to a webinar on Saturday night (yes, what a grand Saturday night I had) about the design and wording of rubrics, so I hope I did better!

My creative energy is drained. (Maybe it wasn't even really there in the first place.)

Good thing that tonight's creative energy involves painting rather than thinking...

No comments:

Post a Comment