I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, January 31, 2013

The usual (unusual) convo

There were so many moments yesterday when I wish I had a tape recorder (or whatever the modern equivalent is these days). The juxtaposition of conversations within the classroom and lunchroom can oftentimes not be any better.

Here's just one example -->

Student 1: "Ms. Foyle, how old will I be when I graduate from school if I become a pediatrician - the one who does the check-ups?"
Student 2: "What about if I want to be a heart surgeon, Ms. Foyle, how long?"
Me: "Well -"
Student 3 (running up from another table and holding a carrot to her forehead): "Look Ms. Foyle, I'm a unicorn!"

I guess it's fair to say that students have been extra wound up/excited this week due to all the additional activities to celebrate Catholic Schools' Week - and, I suppose, they should be excited. The games and dress down days are fun. Although, I hope that over time, they come to realize the true cause for celebration lies in the gift and blessings that Catholic Education brings to all those involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment