I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, January 17, 2013

It's a Page-Turner

Not your typical Thursday...but a book conference was certainly a good break from the usual hustle and bustle of the school day.

In fact, it was kind of refreshing...inspiring...

The conference didn't exactly deliver in content - our presenter did go over many children's books (picture books and novels), but she didn't really focus on how to use them in the classroom. We did, however, receive a very solid resource book, organized by author. I definitely plan on checking into that later.

The presenter, herself, was very knowledgeable about books - as well she should be due to her background in book editing & writing. And she was very passionate about books. So, of course, I got all excited about the books too, especially because we are already using so many of them in the classroom.

Today was a reminder for why I love reading and why I exude so much passion when I teach reading and talk about books. Books are treasures, and when students become readers and discover a favorite book, it brings me so much joy.

And, actually, my crazy reading tendencies and knowledge paid off today (and by paid off, I mean I won a book --> Children's Book-A-Day Almanac) in a book (first lines, last lines, and author titles) trivia contest. What do ya know about that...

On a related book note, one of the parents at my school in Arizona posted the following picture to my Facebook wall - it is appropriate and oh so true:


One more day until the weekend...Come on Friday!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE that picture! it's so true- does feel that way! :)

    ReplyDelete