I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Searching...

I was searching for one particular Thomas Merton quote ("My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going...") and came across another one instead:

“You do not need to know precisely what is happening, or exactly where it is all going. What you need is to recognize the possibilities and challenges offered by the present moment, and to embrace them with courage, faith and hope.” 

(It only takes a quote or two of his to really speak to my heart - I never feel like I know precisely what is happening or where I fit in the grand scheme of things! - if you feel the same, you may find more of his amazing quotes and insight by clicking here.)

The reason I've stumbled across Thomas Merton recently is that I've been reading My Life With the Saints by Fr. James Martin, SJ - it's for my parish's next Young Adult Book Club meeting. And stumble across him I am glad I did.

He's the saint who said, "For me, to be a saint means to be myself..." And, as Fr. Martin points out, Thomas Merton was a man who was always searching for something but unaware of what he was searching for. (Sounds familiar at times, right?) In his book, Fr. Martin also suggests that Merton has strong appeal because he is proof that someone so human (struggled with many worldly longings) could be so holy.

Reading that chapter has actually made me want to pull my copy of The Seven Storey Mountain (Thomas Merton's autobiography) off my shelf, as I bought it a few years ago at the recommendation of a friend. Both my friend and Fr. James Martin claim that the book changed their lives. I think I'm at the point now when it may have a profound effect on mine as well, especially since I find so much connection to and appreciation for his thoughts and words.

Guess I better start dusting off the cover...

No comments:

Post a Comment