I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, January 28, 2013

It started as a joke...

Rewind back to October of this school year...to a series of lunchroom conversations I had with two students about controlling the amount of candy corn a person could consume.

Quick back story --> One student had about 7 pieces of candy corn in her lunch each day for a number of days in a row. I commented that I couldn't possibly eat only 7, to which she said she did not pack her own lunch or she would have more too. I then proceeded to explain how I can't even buy candy corn because I eat it much too quickly, and I explained that this was definitely a dilemma. She and the other student perked up and decided we should build a machine of some kind to control the amount I could eat every day. Every so often, I have checked back in with them, saying, we should really build that...some day...

It was all meant as a joke, but these two girls took me seriously. They made a simple machine to dispense small amounts of candy - they couldn't find any candy corn at this time of year so they used Hershey kisses instead - and they shared it with the class today -->

"machine" in action

The fact that they took this project so "seriously" pretty much made my day. I love the creativity of these kiddos!

When the other students asked why they made it, I said (jokingly), "To keep Ms. Foyle from getting fat."

(That's a little joke.)

No comments:

Post a Comment