I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, January 6, 2013

We Three Kings/Magi/Wise Men/...

Today the Church celebrates the story of the Epiphany (for today's Readings, click here)...and you gotta love the three kings.

Another name for the three kings was "magi" or "wiseman." And I think my favorite encounter with someone else's understanding of this term was right before Christmas break, when, while my half of the class was doing The Gift of the Magi for Readers' Theater, a number of the students piped up and asked, "What's a magi?" After I explained about the multiple names, one of the girls chimed in, asking, "Ms. Foyle, can I go by 'wise-woman' instead?" (Of course, I said yes.)

Personally, I like to mention the three kings during many car trips or when someone tells me about their travels. When anyone says something along the lines of "We'll go back a different/another way," I respond, "like the wise men."

(Corny, I know...At least I think I'm funny.)

For a real laugh (well, you've probably seen this before), check out this video that was made a year or so ago: The Digital Story of the Nativity. It reminds me of the three kings. And of Christmas.

I do apologize for my thoughts bouncing all over the place tonight - I think I'm a little jittery for school starting back tomorrow and a lot jittery for the National Championship game (GO IRISH!) tomorrow night...I even baked for the occasion (see evidence below):

We Are ND

Let's go Irish! Beat 'Bama!

No comments:

Post a Comment