I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Friday, April 27, 2012

There's something to be said for moccasins...

I've had quite a few firsthand lessons recently about not judging someone until we've walked two moons in his moccasins (or something like that)...

After some frustration of unreturned emails requiring feedback for upcoming religion lessons, I learned that one of my co-workers had her wallet stolen at a drugstore the previous afternoon on her way home from school...

Waiting to hear back from a friend about her plans for moving to Chicago next year, I was wondering why she seemed to be ignoring me. Later, a school parent at my previous school in AZ informed me that my friend's grandfather had passed away...

There were some other "lessons" too - I could probably go on for awhile - but the main take-away from these experiences for me has been that it's not all about me, nor does it always have to do with me. On any given day, someone could be so high, so low, or rocking the in-between based on factors that the rest of us may not even know about.

So, instead of jumping to conclusions or making judgments about a person's actions (even if that person is a complete stranger), it's so important to take a step back and just breathe - it's nothing to get worked up over. The best things we can probably do are be open about ourselves and the things going on in our lives as well as be observant and open to the things going on in the lives of others around us.

After all, there's something to be said for moccasins...




P.S. - My sister showed me how to make pages on my blog, so check out the tabs at the top - I added a page of classroom organization/idea photos as well as a reading resources page...

1 comment:

  1. you're welcome! :)

    p.s. reminds me of the quote from "Walter Mitty": "The only exercise you ever get is jumping to conclusions!"

    (I'm very guilty of this too!)

    ReplyDelete