I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Reading for its own sake

Over the years, I have discovered that, while I do (honestly) love to teach all subjects, my 3 favorites are (without a doubt) reading, writing, and religion.

And because I am in a reading mode, that's what I'd like to focus on today. In fact, by this time next week, I will be at an all-day institute (yes, on a Sunday - and yes, by choice) that will kick off the half-week reading convention I'll be attending. Who's excited? This girl.


But why do I love to teach reading so much?

(If you even remotely follow this blog, I'm pretty sure I've gushed about all this before, but bear with me yet again.)

When students' eyes light up with excitement, or when students beg for more time to finish a chapter, or when students complain if we don't have time for read aloud (which I try to never happen, but one can't control everything) - those things make me smile. There are stories to be enjoyed in so many novels, and when those novels are shared through either read alouds or lit circles/book clubs, then that's when things really get interesting because the entire class can reference a character or theme, etc. And that really adds to the classroom conversations and discussions.

It's sad that many schools are turning away from teaching true novels and great literature in order to prepare students to score better on standardized tests (see this article for an enlightening read). Where's the love of reading in confusing paragraphs and multiple choice questions? I sure don't see it.

We need to get our kids excited about reading - they should be reading every day (and so should we).

Here are some websites (which I may or may not have posted before) that I have found useful for reading tips, suggestions, methods, activities, etc. Enjoy! -->

Good Reads (book recommendations and summaries on all kinds and levels of books)
The Book Whisperer
The Nonfiction Detectives
Book Peep Wonders
A Year of Reading
Teach With Picture Books
Choice Literacy - an article about Summer Reading

So read, read, read - and read those books and articles that make your mind think and that make your heart happy.

1 comment:

  1. Are you on GoodReads? I joined last year and love it so far.

    ReplyDelete