I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Tenebrae - light from darkness

Holy Week is most likely my favorite time of the Liturgical year, and that's because there are just SO many services and opportunities to spend extra time in prayer with the Lord.

Take tonight, for example. My sister, my roommate, and I met up for dinner at a local Mediterranean establishment (mmm...falafel...) before heading to Church for their Tenebrae service.

What is Tenebrae? You've never heard of it before?

Don't worry - I didn't know about it until a few weeks ago when I saw the ad in the Church bulletin. Here's a basic rundown (as read on the parish website):

Tenebrae is the Latin word for shadows or darkness. This liturgy is filled with the singing of Psalms and the proclamation of Scripture. The liturgy helps to set the tone for the coming three days of the Triduum. Seven candles are lit in the church. The candles are gradually extinguished throughout the liturgy until the church is plunged into darkness and a thunderous noise envelops the space. One candle finally returns to the church thereby bringing peace and illumination, symbolizing the continual light of Christ.


I liken it to Lenten Lessons and Carols. The choir's chanting was incredibly beautiful, adding to an already solemn and grace-filled liturgy.

And the part that made my flesh literally crawl with goosebumps was when the final chant was sung, the lights in the Church were extinguished, and the congregation rapped (rather loudly) on the pews until the lit Easter candle was brought back to the altar of the Church. (I did not see that coming...and it was awesome.)

As the Triduum begins tomorrow with Holy Thursday, I am kind of bummed I will not be able to attend Mass for the celebration of the Last Supper and the washing of the feet, but that's what happens when you travel home for the holidays. And home is the place I am greatly looking forward to return this weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment