I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Take me back to the Black Hills...

Social Studies - last class of the day today. And that's probably a good thing because my mind was wandering...to the Black Hills (of Dakota) and the Badlands.


For my immediate family, I am sure that neither of the above places need explanation of why my mind might trigger memories associated with them, but for those of you who have not spent countless hours with us watching musicals or attending plays in the park, allow me to enlighten you...

Oh, Calamity Jane, how you've forever shaped my vision of the "Wild West" and all its root-toot shooting and romance. I just can't help it when I hear the term "Black Hills" I think of one of your songs.

Take me back to the Black Hills,
the Black Hills of Dakota,
to the beautiful Indian country
that I lo-ove...

And, let's face it, when Kelly thinks of a musical, pretty soon she's got at least a hundred more songs on her mind too.

Now, as far as the Badlands go, there's a song for that too - though, I doubt one could ever find it on YouTube. This particular song I'm remembering was once sung in a Shakespeare in the Park performance ("Two Gents") based on Shakespeare's (duh) Two Gentlemen of Verona. The song itself is not entitled "Badlands," but, rather, "Bad Girls with Great Hair."

(It's a family favorite, I assure you.) 

It'd probably be a favorite of your family's too if you consider empty Lysol cans, poofy hair, air band techniques, costumes, and a video camera among some of your favorite things as an adolescent...mmm...better explain that, eh? Ok...

As avid fans of the annual Shakespeare in the Park shows, we (well, I think it was pretty much my dad's idea) decided to pay tribute to the shows by videotaping ourselves singing (well, mouthing) the words to the songs from the show's 10 year anniversary cd. It was really fun, especially when we got to the song mentioned above (yes, the one that helped start this tangent of both thought and word) because my sister and I donned dresses, put our hair into poofy messes atop our heads, rounded up some empty Lysol cans, and pretty much hammed it up for the camera. 

I'm not sure when the last time we watched that home video was, but I am pretty sure we probably died laughing. What clowns...what fun...

But anyways, I guess tonight I brought you along on my tangent of thought. I hope it provided at least some small smile or chuckle for your day.

And, hey, if you're ever in the Badlands (or Black Hills), think of me. :)



P.S. - Speaking of my Dad, Happy (almost) Birthday!

1 comment:

  1. yep... no explanation needed. O:)

    and yes... we were (slash are???) crazy.

    ReplyDelete