I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Field Trip!

There is something to be said for field trips. Seeing things firsthand and being treated to the "hospitality" of some very busy people always take me aback.

Such was true this morning as our fourth grade classes ventured to the NBC 5 Studios to take a tour of the weather studio and meet with a real meteorologist, Andy Avalos. (Honestly, a couple of our students were so excited they nearly exploded.) 

Being the nerd that I am, I LOVED every minute, as I am an avid viewer of NBC nightly news whenever I hit the treadmill at the gym on weeknights. So, you can imagine my excitement when we saw the anchors' desk, green screens, offices, and more.

The part that made the students the most engaged was when they had the opportunity to stand in front of the green screen and have the weather projected behind them. They even got to see themselves on the different monitors and televisions, even though they weren't really on tv. Mr. Avalos picked a few students to test their presentation skills by showing where the weather was headed (via the screen), and he even made one student disappear (through green screen special effects)! It really was fun.

It was SO fun (and inspirational), in fact, that I...

wait for it...

composed a short poem (to the tune of "Fascinating Rhythm") in honor of the event. (Ok, I just wanted an excuse to write yet another poem. Can you blame me?)

Fascinating weather,
You've got the wind a-blow
Fascinating weather,
Keep giving sunshine.

I just can't predict ya,
I really want to know
Why you're always changing,
can't make up your mind...

Ok, enough for tonight, right? Here's wishing you a weather forecast filled with plenty of sunshine and beautiful temperatures!

And I'll leave you with a quote Mr. Avalos had our students thinking about today - it's by Benjamin Franklin:

"Some people are weather-wise. Most are just otherwise."

No comments:

Post a Comment