I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Play On

All humans are musical; why else would the Lord have given you a beating heart? 
The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto

Growing up, I can hardly recall a day in our house that I didn't hear the tinkling of piano keys or the strumming of guitar strings. Music in all of its glorious forms is something that has been a part of me, deep within me, for as long as I can remember. My parents put me and my sister through lessons, piano first (starting in kindergarten and going through college) followed by flute lessons (starting in third grade and going through high school) as well as different choir and voice opportunities. It was such a gift, and now, as an adult, I realize how special those opportunities were.

But recently, I realized I was missing being able to play the piano. Only after I purchased a keyboard (88 weighted keys + a sustain pedal!) did I realize just how good it would be to practice again. I have found that my fingers can find their way (mostly) to the right keys when I take out my music. Yet, scales hurt my left hand (because it's so weak), and I have a lot of work to do to be able to play some of the songs I once did. Still, I have also found such peace seated on my small bench (which also came with the keyboard). Between playing the keyboard and going to the gym/running, I know I can reduce the stress of the upcoming final semester of grad school.

Beautiful, isn't it?


And so, I play on...

No comments:

Post a Comment