I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Oh, the places we will go

Over the break, my family and I tried to count how many states we had each been to. Don't ask me the reason - I honestly don't remember. But it was challenging to keep track on our fingers - Was I on 25 or 20? Man, I need to start over again.

I figured it out - I'm up to 38 states visited, which means I only have 12 more to go. But now I have an easier (and prettier!) way to keep track. A few months ago I saw a flash sale advertised online about USA maps. But the map I was considering was unique - using a coin, you can scratch off the states you have been to, revealing a beautiful array of water colors below the golden surface.


I decided to finally take it out of the mailing tube yesterday and to get a frame for it. Best to get it up before the craziness of school starts again, that's what my thought was. When I got home with the frame (and a few other things from Michael's - they were having an 80% off clearance sale), I flattened out the poster with books, and I started scratching away. I don't know how long it took to get those 38 states cleared off - the ones that took the longest and required the most concentration were the small states in the Northeast as well as the biggest states - but I did it!

The final step was to put some nails in the wall - this was easier said than done because I am not known for my ability to hang things straight. But I ended up being pretty successful, and the map now hangs above a painting of the Chicago Theater marquee I did at one of those wine nights with my coworkers several years ago:



It looks like I better start planning a few more road trips...

No comments:

Post a Comment