I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

A letter to my students

My dear students,

Do you see me looking at you
as you sit in your seats, 
unsure of the directions...
or, perhaps, of yourselves?

Do you know the hours I spend
after school and on weekends 
poring over lesson plans
and assessments,
as I try to meet each of you where you are at,
as I struggle to strike the perfect balance
between being kind and being demanding?

Do you sense the frustration in my eyes
when the chatter continues
long after I've requested the class's attention,
or when your work shows little effort,
when I know you could have done better?

Do you see me smile at you,
just at you,
when you share an insightful thought
or ask a challenging question,
when you persevere in a tough situation,
or when you just need someone to let you know it will be all right?

Do you know how much you matter to me,
how much I think about you?
I can't seem to get you out of my mind.
You have each found a home in my heart,
and nothing you do will ever change that.

And, 
more importantly, 
do you realize how much God loves you?
You are His beloved sons and daughters;
And He gazes at you,
protects you,
wraps His arms around you.

How I long to help you realize this love.
How I long to spend each day
teaching you meaningful content, yes,
but also helping you learn to be kind,
generous, loving, and courageous -
to help you be faith-filled saints in the making.

Each year it's so hard to watch you go -
to move on to high school
and to have no sure way of knowing 
what the future holds for you:
what contributions you'll make to your community and families,
what role your faith will play,
what kind of people you'll become...

But for now,
for today,
I want you to know I am here for you;
I am praying for you;
I would do anything for you;
and, above all, I love you.

Your teacher,
Miss Foyle

No comments:

Post a Comment