I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, December 3, 2017

'Tis a Gift to be Simple

It's simple...and yet, at the same time, it's not: Jesus commands us to love one another and to love Him.

It seems like it should be so easy. But throughout the Bible (which I've been looking at even more closely recently as I study the Old Testament with my 6th graders), throughout history, and in our present age, there is much hatred and indifference. And I'm not saying I'm not guilty of it; I most assuredly am - I turn a blind eye to the suffering of those in other countries and even right on my street corner just the same as the next person.

But God is there saying, "Love me," "Look at me," "See me." How do I choose to respond?

This time of year is so busy for everyone - Christmas concerts, holiday shopping, get-togethers, final exams... It's almost impossible not to get swept up in the hustle and bustle of the season. But we have to stop; otherwise, we miss the point of Advent, this beautiful season of preparation. Advent calls us back to Jesus' simple message of love.

While not traditionally considered an Advent or Christmas song (though I have seen it on a few Christmas albums), perhaps "What a Wonderful World" should be. The beauty of this song (in my humble opinion) lies in the gift of being able to stand in awe of the creation and people around us, not over-complicating things or thinking we don't have enough; its beauty lies in recognizing Christ in our world, in one another, and in ourselves. It's that simple.


Advent is the perfect season to strip away all of the extras, the noise, and the busyness of our lives in order to make room in our hearts and minds for God. I would argue that only then are we able to realize what a gift we have and what a gift we are as children of God. And it is then that we can simply rest in God's presence with hearts full of gratitude and love.

May God's blessings be upon all of us and our loved ones this Advent and Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment