I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Saturday, December 2, 2017

It's beginning to look a lot like...Advent!

The coming of Advent means a few things for me:

1. Wear green...for next week I wear purple.
It started out as a bit of a joke, but then I thought, hey, why not? I bet I have enough green to wear it to school every day this week to finish out this liturgical season in style. And so I did. Some of the kiddos caught on, even taking time to wish me happy end to Ordinary Time on Friday afternoon. (Sometimes you just have to bring your own fun.)

Don we now our green apparel...fa la la la la...

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5


2. Finish Marian morning devotions book...and get ready to start the Advent Saint reflections book on Sunday.
The timing of this book was perfect, and I recommend it for everyone, men and women alike. It's simple...and that's what is so beautiful about it. The book reflects on a different attribute or desire of Mary in each chapter (4-5 pages), and it covers the span of one month (31 days). What was extra special for me is that it focused on some of the Marian apparitions, which I had just been teaching my students about. Talk about timing!



3. Spend time in meditation and silence to make some extra room for God.
I am so grateful for the invitation to attend a Taize prayer service out west of the city this past Friday. It was just what I needed - it was a chance to take a step back and just sit in God's presence. While I had heard most of the songs before, even the ones new to me were easy to follow. Silence. Music. Mmm...
At one point they invited the children and teens to light their candles, and they then walked down the aisles and passed the light on to everyone in the church. During the psalm and alleluia, we raised our candles - it was a sight to behold. Later on, we brought our candles to the front in a procession. It was absolutely wonderful. 




4. Get my iPhone ready...
I have only had a smartphone for a little over two years. Yet, in those two years, I am afraid that I have become somewhat dependent on my email. So, I wanted to challenge myself this Advent to remove its easy access and, therefore, delete the app from my phone. I did a dry run yesterday, and let me tell you, it's hard! But I think that's just the point. I don't need my email to be at my fingertips - everything can wait, even though society wants us to think this is not the case. The hope is that with less focus on my phone I can put more focus on God.


5. Open the Christmas presents I bought for myself...and start planning next summer's road trip!
I was practically giggling with excitement upon opening my new Camelbak and my hiking boots, though my hiking boots still had the protection tag on them. (Sad day.) This summer I am looking to drive with my friend out west again but to some different national parks, having previously been to the Badlands, the Black Hills, Devil's Tower, Teddy Roosevelt National Park, and Mount Rushmore. Because we'll be hiking and camping, these items seemed like wise purchases (especially since I had a gift card to Dick's Sporting Goods).


protection tag...womp womp...


Yes indeed. It's beginning to look a lot like Advent. In fact, I am shortly off to the Christkindlmarket and then to a Christmas high tea with the ND women's connect group. Let's kick off this holiday season! Have a blessed Advent!

No comments:

Post a Comment