I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Christmas is coming...right?

Advent is my favorite liturgical season...and not just because I get to wear purple and pink (err...I mean, rose). I love the anticipation, the joy, the hope that the season brings. I love the idea of trying to simplify and refocus, even when it seems that everyone else around you is getting busier and stressed.

But usually it feels more like Christmas right about this time. (Happy third Sunday of Advent, by the way.) I was talking with some friends last night as we were in the lobby before taking our seats for a show, and we were mostly in accord about this - the feeling of the holiday season just hadn't hit us yet, even though the stores are wall to wall Christmas decorations and we've done our shopping and our trees/lights are up... What was going on this year?

It's funny how things change so fast. As noted, the above conversation was in the lobby as we waited for a show. When we came out of the show at its conclusion, it finally felt like Christmas. Yes, there were holiday songs and Christmas lights in the theater, but that wasn't the reason. Yes, it was an adaptation of "A Christmas Carol," but that wasn't it either... 

I think what made it finally hit was the contagious joy and beautiful messages conveyed cleverly and beautifully through the play. As I looked around the audience at various times during the play, everyone was smiling - they just couldn't help it. The show just gets it right. One "catchy" message that comes in the final song is this: "Christmas is not about presents but about being in the presence of the people you love." (And here's a short reflection from America Magazine that's along these same lines.) As I sat in a long row with 12 of my friends, I realized how true this is. It doesn't matter what we have or give but how we love and accept others' love in return. It's an age-old message, but one worth repeating over and over.

What a group, what a night! The holidays finally feel here. :)


I'll leave you with a few photos from the day/evening - I love bringing good people together:

Patrick couldn't quite get the camera to work at first, so here's a candid shot.

Now we're in business!

I'm getting better at these large group selfies with practice!

Best show (and great new venue)!!

These people bring me so much joy - love them!!

waiting with great anticipation

These smiles say it all - what a show!

No comments:

Post a Comment